Each 5th grade student is expected to memorize a poem during the months of February and March. Students will recite one of the following poems, as assigned by Ms. Heuett:
- “If,” by Rudyard Kipling
- “A Psalm of Life,” by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- “Casey at the Bat,” by Ernest Lawrence Thayer
- “All the world’s a stage,” from As You Like It by William Shakespeare
- “Mother to Son,” by Langston Hughes
- “Sympathy” by Paul Laurence Dunbar
- Students should rank their top four preferences by Wednesday, February 14th, after which students will be assigned their poems.
- Students should have their poems memorized and well-rehearsed by Wednesday, March 7th, when poetry recitations will begin during language arts class.
Contact Ms. Heuett at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions regarding our poetry memorization.
The beginning of February was spent saying goodbye to the March girls as we finished part one of Little Women. Some students have even chosen to keep the book a little longer in order to read part two on their own! February now brings us into our poetry unit, during which students will explore figurative language such as similes, metaphors, and personification. Students will also be assigned a poem to memorize and recite in front of the class, so they should plan to spend a little bit of time every night memorizing and rehearsing their poem throughout the coming weeks.
All Nova families welcome!
Please join us for this year’s performance of Dvorak’s “Rusalka” featuring our Nova 4th Graders as the Children’s Chorus.
Date: Tuesday, March 6, 2018
Location: Nova Gymnasium
The Lower School will be running their annual fundraiser Pennies for Patients to support the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society February 12-21. Please send coins, bills, or checks (payable to LLS) to help support children and families affected by blood cancer. Our Pennies for Patients fund raiser is organized by our Student Proxeny officers: Henry Pawl, Amelia Filo, Sophia Carreon, Jotham Zewdu, Genevieve Anderson, and Brendan Frost.
The fifth graders will take a history quiz on Chapters 2-5 and vocabulary on Tuesday, Feb. 13, 2018.
The test on ch.7, “Inheritance and Adaptations” will be Monday, February 12th. I will send home the study guide this week and we will review together at the end of the week to prepare for the test. Please help your child review vocabulary and concepts from the study guide.